So the time has finally come to leave India, a prospect I have mixed feelings about. I'm so sad to end the amazing experience this has been and leave the children I have quickly grown to love at the orphanage, plus leave a country that has challenged me in so many ways. At the same time home means seeing family and friends who I have missed and who have supported me the whole time I've been here, plus Heather's wedding a week from today!!
Last weekend I had a day in Bangalore on Sat - seeing the Iskcon Temple - a massive modern Hare Krishna temple which was great to see and very intense, The Bull Temple - a small Hindu temple but very nice and Tipu's Summer Palace - a nice 'shell' of what was once a beautiful small palace with some nice gardens. I then went and did a little shopping, can't resist the bargains!!!
Sunday saw a trip to the Shivanasmudra Falls - amazing natural beauty, went to 2 sights, the second involving one hell of a hike down some uneven 'steps' down to the waters edge in the heat then a little boat ride to the falls. Really beautiful and nice to see something thats a contrast to architecture.
This week has been quite sad knowing its my last at the orphanage - the children are fantastic considering their enthusiasm and friendly nature despite some horrific backgrounds. Although teaching has been a challenge at times (the week and a half with no teachers leaving me and 1-2 other volunteers in complete control after only 2 days with them pushed me to my limit) I have enjoyed working, playing and being with them so much. I was actually quite emotional on friday when i left, especially when some were asking 'you coming tomorrow aunty? you come monday?' Unfortunately some bad ice left me unable to go thurs and fri morning (NEVER AGAIN!) so i missed my own leaving party and cake!! but i still got to say my goodbye. What makes me abit happier is knowing the children are all at some point adopted and go to new homes where they will get the childhood and love they deserve, 2 are expected to leave in the next month for their new homes which is very heartwarming.
This morning Adam and I went along to the local park to the flag hoisting ceremony for Independence Day. Not knowing what to expect I was really touched that the local residents welcomed us giving us little badges and sweets, chatting to us about where we were from, what we were doing, how we liked India and telling us about their lives whilst the crowd congregated watching incense be lit, and awaiting a member of parliament come to raise the flag and all to sing the national anthem. It was nice to be part of a small celebration and be welcomed so openly.
The rest of this weekend I plan to eat nice food (provided my stomach will allow it!!), go to Cubbon Park and maybe Lalbagh Botanical Gardens and have a meal with the other volunteers. Then its a taxi Sunday 6pm for my first flight at 9.30pm, ouch!
When I return I will post more photos, i'm currently upto 1800+ so just a few!!!
love xx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
can't believe it's nearly over and that we'll see you in less than 24 hours...
ReplyDeletewhat an experience for you - we're so proud of you and all that you've done
xxooxx
cant wait to see you again, have a safe flight xx
ReplyDelete